Recipe Monday: Good Morning Carrot Muffins
Toddlers are unpredictable. There, we said it. Not only do their emotions change at the drop of a hat, but so do their eating habits. What is a home run one day is an absolute flop the next, as a result - I am never without snacks. I've been trying to get our freezer organized with options for Bodhi (2yo) so that I can grab a healthy snack for her while I'm nursing Dhani (3mos). I'd be lying if I said I've nailed the system - but I am honing in on some pretty good tried-and-true staples that both my toddler and husband can enjoy, I call that a win-win!
We thought it would be a fun idea to start leaving some of our successful recipes on here for anyone and everyone to try! This recipe features yummy carrot muffins - packed with fruits and veggies and all kinds of other healthy stuff. What's more is that these make-ahead muffins can be stored in your freezer for tiny or big hands to grab at their convenience!
2 cups whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup large flake oats
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
2 Tbsp bran flakes
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup milk
1/2 cup avocado oil
2 large eggs
1 cup grated zucchini
1 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup grated apple
Preheat oven to 375°F (180°C). Line muffin tin with 12 large paper muffin liners.
1. In a large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients.
3. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to combine (try not to overmix).
4. Scoop the mixture into the muffin liners.
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes (I like to press the tops of the muffins to check for a little springy top, that's when I know they're ready).
6. Remove muffins from the pan and let cool on cooling rack.
*Can be stored in a covered container for 2 to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Nutritional Facts (1 muffin): Calories 300, Total Fat 14g, Saturated Fat 1.5g, Sodium 83mg, Carbohydrates 36.4g, FIber 4g, Sugars 16g, Protein 7.5g